Uses and Properties
Acrylonitrile is a chemical intermediate used to produce acrylic fibres, ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene), SAN (styrene-acrylonitrile), acrylamide, adiponitrile and NBR (nitrile-butadiene-rubber).
Acrylonitirle is key to produce carbon fibres used in aircraft, defense and aerospace industries as well as wind turbine blades’ manufacturing. The substance is also widely used in the industry to produce high performance elastomers/rubbers, structural resins and plastics, which are essential for the automotive sector’s transition to lightweight, fuel efficient and electric vehicles. In addition, it is a crucial monomer to produce water purification coagulants.
The Acrylonitrile Group (ACN) is a trade association bringing together the European manufacturers of acrylonitrile.
Issues and Regulations
The Acrylonitrile REACH Consortium, founded by the CEFIC Acrylonitrile Manufacturers Members, completed the REACH submission for Acrylonitrile in 2010. Uses as a monomer and intermediate have been supported.
Consortium Manager: TSGE
Lead Company: Ineos Nitriles.
The Sector Group is pro-actively managing regulatory and environmental responsibilities on the industry:
- Health: SCOEL / Occupational Exposure Limits, Classification issues
- Environment: CO2 emissions (benchmarks), Industrial Emissions Directive (BREF)
- Exchange non-confidential safety information about the production, distribution and handling of acrylonitrile.
- Promoting the standing of the acrylonitrile industry in a socially responsible manner.
- Informing consumers and those involved in the handling of the product on its properties and functionality.
- Encouraging the safe and proper use of acrylonitrile by developing and publishing appropriate technical information.
- Maintaining a high level of technical understanding by identifying and managing research into health and environmental effects and assessing risks in use.
- Presenting the benefits and contribution to green energy, energy saving and sustainable development of Acrylonitrile to the industry, authorities and the public
- Developing a common position on major issues of the industry for presentation to regulators, opinion leaders and other concerned bodies.
- Developing product stewardship programmes following the Responsible Care principles.