Coal Chemicals Sector Group (CCSG)
Uses and properties
CCSG (Organisational chart) represents European Producers of chemicals derived from coal tar distillation. The main product (approx. 50 %) of the tar refinery is the distillation residue "coal tar pitch". The distillates are crude naphtalene and technical fractions (aromatic oils). The major single compounds are naphthalene (~10 %), phenanthrene (~4,5 %) and anthracene (~1,3 %). Some compounds (e.g. naphthalene, anthracene, carbazole, phenol, cresols and xylenols) are commercially available.
- Electrode binders for aluminium and electro-steel production
- Refractory materials
- Aromatic oils for the production of carbon black
- Wood impregnating oils
- Chemicals for the production of dyes, inks, pesticides, plasticizers, solvents and coatings.
Issues and regulations
The REACH for Coal Chemicals – R4CC was formed through which manufacturers have joined efforts to prepare by 30 November 2010 consistent registration dossiers covering the following substances.
Compliance with REACH, CLP and other regulations
- Develop a co-ordinated approach to health, environment and technical issues
- Influence harmonisation of chemical legislation
- Develop scientific data for coal-tar products
- Link with European and National scientific bodies involved in health, environment and workers protection
- Link with industry associations and scientific bodies with an interest in the products
- Biocide registration
Philippe Salemis, Sector Group Manager
Tel. + 32 2 676 7436
Chairman: Winfried Boenigk, Rütgers.