The Amines Sector Group (AMSG)
Uses and properties
The Amines Sector Group includes producers of ethyleneamines, i.e.
- Ethylenediamine (EDA), used to produce TAED (tetraacetylethylenediamine), EDTA (ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid) and fungicides
- Diethylenetriamine (DETA), mainly used as an epoxy curing agent and in the production of wet strength resins for paper
- Higher amines, used to make additives for lubricating oils, engine fuels and asphalt and producers of ethanolamines, i.e.
- Monoethanolamine (MEA), mainly used as the raw material to produce ethyleneamines, detergents and metalworking fluids
- Diethanolamine (DEA), mainly used for gas sweetening and in agrochemicals
- Triethanolamines (TEA)
- Aminoethylethanolamine (AEEA)
Issues and regulations
Three new REACH Consortia (ethanol-, ethylene- and isopropanol amines) have been formed, through which manufacturers have joined efforts to prepare by 30 November 2010 consistent registration dossiers covering the following list of substances: Reach-Amines_2008
Consortium management: TSGE Europe
The IPPC Directive codified as Directive 2008/1/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 January 2008 concerning integrated pollution prevention and control: the AMSG is participating to the LVOC BREF review of ethanolamines.
- Maintaining a positive product image by promoting safe and proper use
- Maintaining a high level of technical understanding of the products, identifying the needs for scientific and environmental research, sponsoring the work when needed and working with scientists and regulators for the interpretation of results
- Maintaining a dialogue with regulators, opinion leaders and trade associations
- Developing harmonised information on health, safety and environmental issues in relation to amines
- Collecting statistics.
Philippe Salemis, Sector Group Manager
Tel. + 32 2 676 7436
Chairman: Heiko Stilgenbauer, BASF