Acrylonitrile Sector Group
The Acrylonitrile Producers Association
Uses and properties
Acrylonitrile is a chemical intermediate used to produce acrylic fibres, ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene), SAN (styrene-acrylonitrile), acrylamide, adiponitrile and NBR (nitrile-butadiene-rubber). Approximately 31% of the global acrylonitrile production is used in production of fibres, 35% in production of ABS and SAN resins, 13% in the production of acrylamide and 14% in the production of adipronitrile and NBR. In 2013 the worldwide Acrylonitrile market totaled about almost 5,500 ktons (source IHS/PCI World Acrylonitrile Report).
Issues and regulations
The Acrylonitrile REACH Consortium, founded by the CEFIC Acrylonitrile Manufacturers Members, completed the REACH submission for Acrylonitrile in 2010. Uses as a monomer and intermediate have been supported.
Consortium Manager: TSGE
Lead Company: Ineos Nitriles.
The Sector Group is pro-actively managing regulatory and environmental responsibilities on the industry:
- Health: SCOEL / Occupational Exposure Limits, Classification issues
- Environment: CO2 emissions (benchmarks), Industrial Emissions Directive (BREF)
- Exchange non-confidential safety information about the production, distribution and handling of acrylonitrile.
- Promoting the standing of the acrylonitrile industry in a socially responsible manner.
- Informing consumers and those involved in the handling of the product on its properties and functionality.
- Encouraging the safe and proper use of acrylonitrile by developing and publishing appropriate technical information.
- Maintaining a high level of technical understanding by identifying and managing research into health and environmental effects and assessing risks in use.
- Presenting a positive image of acrylonitrile to the industry, authorities and the public.
- Developing a common position on major issues of the industry for presentation to regulators, opinion leaders and other concerned bodies.
- Developing product stewardship programmes following the Responsible Care principles.
Paul Teheux, Sector Group Manager
Tel. + 32 2 676 7258
Chairman: Pieter Boon, AnQore BV
Guidelines for the Distribution of Acrylonitrile (revision 5, March 2014).