Solvents (OSPA, HSPA, ESIG, ESVOCCG)
OSPA: Oxygenated Solvents Producers Association
HSPA: Hydrocarbon Solvents Producers Association
ESIG: European Solvents Industry Group, a joint activity of OSPA and HSPA
ES-VOC-CG: European Solvents Volatile Organic Compound Co-Ordination Group, an industry forum for solvent producers and downstream users.
Uses and properties
Solvents are liquids which have the ability to dissolve, suspend or extract other materials. They make it possible to process, apply, clean or separate materials. They are petroleum derivatives and enable the processing, application, cleaning or separation of materials.
Major applications segments comprise paints and coatings, pharmaceuticals, adhesives, printing inks, toiletries and cosmetics, detergents and water treatment, household and car care, rubber and polymer manufacturing, metal and industrial cleaning, agrochemicals and oil seed / food extraction and dry cleaning.
The solvents´ industry substantially contributes to the economic and social welfare in Europe: it directly employs more than 10,000 people in Europe, but indirectly accounts even for more than 10 million jobs, with more than half a million European companies using solvents in the very diversified application segments mentioned above. More than 80% of these companies are small and medium-sized enterprises (SME). Solvents´ manufacturers across Europe have an estimated combined turnover of about €5 billion. Companies using solvents have an estimated combined turnover of more than €200 bn.
Issues and regulations
The following consortia have emerged from OSPA and HSPA and manufacturers have joined efforts to prepare by 30 November 2010 consistent registration dossiers covering:
- HSPA : Hydrocarbon solvents.
- OSPA : Butanol
- OSPA : Butyl Acetate
- OSPA : Ethyl Acetate REACH Consortium
- OSPA : Glycol Ethers REACH Consortium
- OSPA : Isopropanol (IPA) REACH Consortium
- OSPA : Methylethylketone (MEK) REACH Consortium
- OSPA : Methylisobutylketone (MiBK) REACH Consortium
- Gothenburg Protocol
- National Emission Ceilings Directive (NECD)
- Solvents Emission Directive (SED)
- Industrial Emissions Directive (IED, formerly known as IPPC Directive)
- (Deco) Paints´ Directive
- Globally Harmonized System (GHS)
- Classification, Labelling & Packaging (CLP)
- For OSPA and HSPA: To foster the perception of the products represented by both OSPA and HSPA as valuable, eco-efficient, safe solutions which serve the needs of industry and solvents users including manufacturers and consumers of goods
- For ESIG: To act as European focal point for all solvent-related issues and to manage these through a focused communication, advocacy and product stewardship programme
- For ES-VOC-CG: This industry platform brings together solvent producers (ESIG) and about 30 downstream user associations to intensely cooperate to facilitate legal compliance and to share best practices, especially in the area of health, safety and environment.
DHC Solvents Chemie
ExxonMobil Chemical Europe
Haltermann Carless Deutschland GmbH
OSPA Chairman: Joachim Tremmel, BASF
HSPA Chairman: José Antonio Ruiz, ExxonMobil
ESIG Chairman: Rob Oades, Shell Chemicals
- ESIG "Solutions" newsletter, published twice a year
- ESIG Benefit Stories
- ESIG Best Practice Guidelines
- Solvents Family Brochure. Download
- Key messages brochure "Solvents: One Word, Many Solutions". Download
- Position papers
- Press releases